FIRST – If this is an EMERGENCY – that is, there is no explanation for your furnace not working (see list below) – please call Hargrave Heating for EMERGENCY FURNACE REPAIR in Markham, Richmond Hill and York Region at 416-988-9799.
Of course, we all depend on our heating and air conditioning systems to perform reliably when we need them. So if they don’t, it can be the beginning of a stressful time until the problem is solved.
3 Steps to Take if Your Furnace Stops Working
When your heating system stops working, it may not really be an “emergency” situation. There are many non-emergency reasons why it’s not working.
Take the following steps regardless of whether you know you need emergency heating services.
- Focus on Keeping Heat in Your Home – Try not to open entrance doors as much as possible. Check that all windows are fully closed and close all blinds and drapes.
- Safely Deploy Space Heaters – If you have space heaters, place them in areas where you need heat the most, away from anything flammable.
- Turn on Your Gas Fireplace – If you have a gas fireplace, it’s a great way to keep warm, at least in the room where it’s located.
3 Steps to Take if Your Furnace Stops Working and You Want to Confirm That It’s an Emergency
The following are possible reasons why your furnace might not be working that do not require emergency HVAC services. These may seem obvious, but you don’t want them to be the reason you called for emergency repair and maintenance.
- Check Your Thermostat – Is it on? Is it set to a temperature that would trigger the furnace? If the thermostat runs on batteries, check that they have a charge.
- Check the Circuit Breaker – Circuit breakers may trip for no apparent reason.
- Check the Furnace Door – Your furnace won’t work if the furnace door isn’t properly closed. If you have recently changed the air filter or opened the furnace door for any other reason, it may not have closed properly.
If you have followed all the steps above and still haven’t found a reason why the furnace isn’t working, you will need to call for emergency HVAC system home services. \
And when your home is warm and toasty again, consider investing in an HVAC system maintenance program that will minimize the chances of you needing emergency repair service again.
To learn more about your furnace, check out our article “How Long Does a Furnace Last in Canada”.